Isle of Man Sailing Ships
The Annie was a brig built by John Winram at the Bath shipyard at Douglas, Isle of Man, launched on the 5th September 1842. She was owned by James Aikin, of Liverpool, who owned the Bath shipyard. The brig was first registered at Liverpool. The registry of the Annie was transfered to Cape Town on the 11th November 1848.
Name: AnnieYear Built: 1842Gross Tons: 177Masts: 2Figurehead: FemaleStern: Square
The Bessy was a ketch built in 1862 by J.Qualtrough at Castletown, Isle of Man. She was owned by her builder when she was lost 12 miles NNW of Peel on the 2nd March 1918. She was shelled by a German submarine whilst carrying a cargo of scrap iron from Douglas to Glasgow.
Name: TEXTYear Built: 1862Gross Tons: 60Masts: 2
The Brilliant was a schooner built at Peel in 1855. She was registered at Douglas and in 1865 she was owned by H.Graves, merchant, of Peel, and commanded by Capt.Quayle. The Brilliant was lost on the 31st January 1891. She had arrived off Ramsey harbour on a voyage from Whitehaven with a coal cargo, under the command of Capt. Caesar Clarke. In a Force 9 gale from the SSE, the schooner was forced to stand off from the harbour, but developed a severe leak that put the vessel at risk of sinking. The master attempted to beach the vessel at Shellag Point, but when the schooner struck she was still far enough offshore to force the master to take to the small boat. He successfully reached the shore, and then pulled his two crewmen from the schooner after they had floated a rope from the stricken vessel. Shortly after the Brilliant's masts went over the side, and the vessel subsequently broke up. At the time of her loss she was owned by E.Kerruish of Manghold, Isle of Man, and was registered at Douglas.
Name: BrilliantYear Built: 1855Gross Tons: 59.6Length (feet): TEXTBreadth (feet): 19.7Depth (feet): 9.7
The Chrishna was a barque built by John Winram at the Bath shipyard at Douglas, Isle of Man, launched on the 15th March 1843. She was owned by James Aikin, of Liverpool, who owned the Bath shipyard. The vessel was registered at Liverpool and her first master was Capt.Ellis Fletcher. The registry of the Chrishna was transfered to Sydney, NSW on the 13th December 1852.
Name: ChrishnaYear Built: 1843Gross Tons: 271<Masts: 3
The Dumfries was a tea clipper built at the Bath shipyard at Douglas, Isle of Man, in 1837.
Name: DumfriesYear Built: 1837Masts: 3
The Erato was a full-rigged ship built of iron by the Ramsey Ship Building Co., at Ramsey, Isle of Man, and launched in April 1864. She was similar in size and tonnage to the Euterpe, built the preceding year in the same shipyard. Her first owners were Wakefield & Co., of Liverpool, and she was registered at that port. She was sold to D.Brown in 1870, then Edward Bates, also of Liverpool. By the 1880's the Erato was registered in London, and her final British owners were Foley & Co. In March 1892 the vessel arrived at Hamburg from Chile with a nitrate cargo. She capsized at the Amerika quay, and after being salvaged was sold to a Swedish shipowner, Otto Banck. In February 1894 the Erato stranded at Høien, Denmark, bound from Helsingborg to Garston Docks (Liverpool) with a cargo of beans. The vessel was a total loss.
Name: EratoYear Built: 1864Gross Tons: 1238Length (feet): 206.0Breadth (feet): 35.3Depth (feet): 23.1Masts: 3
The Fenella was a small schooner built by Robert Oates at Douglas in 1838. Her registry document decribes her as carvel built, with a round stern and a running bowsprit. Her owners in 1840 when she was registered at Douglas were John Moore of Douglas, Isle of Man (Timber Merchant), 32 shares, and George William Dumbell of Douglas, Isle of Man (Advocate), 32 shares. Her registration document states that the Fenella was 'Lost with all Hands, on Voyage from Chester to this Port'.
Name: FenellaYear Built: 1838Gross Tons: 245Length (feet): 43.0Breadth (feet): 12.2Depth (feet): 6.8Masts: 2Figurehead: noneStern: round
The Jilt was a schooner built by Edgar at Port St.Mary, Isle of Man in 1861. She was owned by Thomas Qualtrough of Douglas.
Name: JiltYear Built: 1861Net Tons: 79Length (feet): 79.5Breadth (feet): 18.8Depth (feet): 10.3Masts: 2
The Kate was a wooden schooner built by Graves in the Isle of Man in April 1872. In 1922-3 she was owned by W.Thomas and was still registered at Peel.
Name: KateYear Built: 1872Gross Tons: 129Length (feet): 91.0Breadth (feet): 22.0Depth (feet): 11.3Masts: 2
The Ken was a barque built by John Winram at the Bath shipyard at Douglas, Isle of Man, launched on the 13th May 1850. She was owned by James Aikin, of Liverpool, who owned the Bath shipyard. The vessel was registered at Liverpool and her first master was Capt.Robert Dickson.
Name: KenYear Built: 1850Gross Tons: 221Length (feet): 92.0Breadth (feet): 21.7Depth (feet): 14.6Masts: 3Figurehead: Woman bustStern: Square
The Mona's Isle was a two-masted flat built by Joseph Ford at Douglas, Isle of Man. She was launched in 1835 and was owned by Barrow's James Fisher from 1859 until her loss in 1867. The Mona's Isle was lost off Piel Island in July 1867. A vessel called the Mona's Isle appeared very frequently in the notebooks of Barrow shipbroker William Gawith. She was described as belonging to the port of Preston, and her masters were Robert Hunter (1855 to Feb' 56), Thomas Sumner (March to Oct. '56 and Feb.'57 to June '58), George Sumner (Oct.'56 to Jan.'57), William Hilton (Jan.'57) and Robert Forshaw (May 1865).
Name: Mona's IsleYear Built: 1835Masts: 2