Isle of Man Sailing Ships
The schooner Ann was built at Glasson Dock in 1841. Her registry was transferred from Wigtown to Stranraer in 1863, at which time she was owned by David McDowall, Master Mariner, of Stranraer. The Ann was wrecked at Drummore on the 25th February 1873.
Name: AnnYear Built: 1846Gross Tons: 37Length (feet): 49.9Breadth (feet): 14.5Depth (feet): 7.8Masts: 2Figurehead: FemaleStern: Square
The Curliana was a small wooden schooner built at Kirkcudbright in 1848, and first registered at Dumfries. In 1852 she was partly owned by the Newland Company of Ulverston. The Curliana was wrecked in Wexford Bay on the 12th November 1852, with the loss of three of her four crew. She had left Barrow bound for Cardiff with a cargo of iron ore, and on the 10th, off Holyhead, she had encountered a gale which drove her south west. Shortly before the vessel struck her crew took to the small boat, which capsized, drowning three men - Capt. William Stones (of Ulverston, 22 years old, son of Capt. John Stones), James (or John) Casson (of Ulverston, son of Capt. Casson of Canal Head, Ulverston) and a boy, 18 years old, from Newport. The survivor, John Thomas, was in the water for two hours before being rescued by a pilot boat. The newspaper report describing the wreck stated that the vessel was likely to be got off without much damage. The vessel was re-registered at Dumfries in 1853 and was re-measured, at 59 tons, in 1856. In 1865 the Curliana was still registered at Dumfries, managing owner J.Swanson of Gatehouse, master Capt.J.Thomas.
Name: CurlianaYear Built: 1848Gross Tons: 65Length (feet): 58.3Breadth (feet): 16.8Depth (feet): 8.9Masts: 2Figurehead: ManStern: Square
The schooner Anna was built at Glasson Dock in 1839. Her registry was transferred from Greenock to Dumfries in 1846, at which time she was commanded by Capt.Edward Grierson and was owned by William Turner, of Dumfries, and William Irving, of Maxwelltown. The Anna foundered in February 1855.
Name: AnnaYear Built: 1839Gross Tons: 28Length (feet): 45.6Breadth (feet): 12.2Depth (feet): 6.2Masts: 2Figurehead: BilletStern: Square
The New Importer was a schooner built at Frodsham, Cheshire in 1839. In 1890 she was sold by Dumfries owners to John and James Carswell, millers, of Dalbeattie. The New Importer sailed from Liverpool on the 30th January, 1891, bound for Dalbeattie under the command of Capt. Nicol Paterson. She never arrrived, but a lifeboat with her name written on it was found at Southerness in February. She was posted "Missing", lost with all hands.
Name: New ImporterYear Built: 1839Gross Tons: 42Length (feet): 61Breadth (feet): 16Depth (feet): 6Masts: 2
The Solway Lass was a steel fore-and-aft schooner, built at Martenshoek, Holland in 1902. She was originally named Stina, then from 1905 Adolf, and worked in and around the Baltic and North Sea. In 1915 the schooner was captured by the British, and was reputedly later used as a Q-ship. After the War the schooner was bought by Solway owners and became known as the Dumfries. At some time she was modified as an auxiliary schooner, fitted with a paraffin motor. She was later renamed Solway Lass. In 1924 she was jointly owned by John & James Carswell of Barrbridge Mills, Dalbeattie, and Allen John Greenway, Master Mariner. In 1936 her shares were bought by Anne Jane Anderson of Portmadoc, wife of her master (who reputedly died on board after being overcome by leaking fumes in the engine room). After being laid up for some time, the Solway Lass was sold on the 22nd March 1938 to Danish owners. She loaded a cargo of slates at Portmadoc and sailed to Denmark, reaching Ymuiden after a stormy passage of 27 days and Copenhagen after a further 13 days at sea. The current specifications of the Solway Lass are :127ft (33m) long and beam of 20ft with a weight of 120 tonnes. She has two masts and ten sail, with a sail area of 5500 square feet.
Name: Solway LassYear Built: 1902Gross Tons: ?Length (feet): 80.4Breadth (feet): 19.3Depth (feet): 7.7Masts: 2/p>
The Town of Preston was a schooner built in 1846 at Glasson Dock, Lancaster. In 1865 she was owned in Preston by her master, Capt.H.Young. The Fleetwood Maritime Museum has a ledger and the day book from the same period from the Rawstrone's shipyard at Freckleton. The first vessel mentioned is the Town of Preston, schooner, account settled by Mr.Jackson and Co. on 10th Oct 1870. Work included £132.14.6 on smithwork There were three other schooners mentioned, the Lilla, Spencer and Jane. he registry of the Town of Preston was transferred from Preston to Wigtown in April 1870. In 1882 her registry at Wigtown was renewed, the vessel's owner being named at that time as Anthony Findlay, Master Mariner, of Port William. The schooner was stranded on the Jura side of the Islay Sound in 1884 and remained there, the registration being closed in February 1887.
Name: Town of PrestonYear Built: 1846Gross Tons: 69Length (feet): 67.5Breadth (feet): 19.4Depth (feet): 9.5Masts: 2Figurehead: BilletStern: Square
The schooner Sarah was built at Glasson Dock in June, 1842. She was registered at Wigtown in 1857 and in 1875, but not in 1865.In 1875 she was owned by John Routledge, farmer, of Oldmill.
Name: SarahYear Built: 1842Gross Tons: 38Length (feet): 52.0Breadth (feet): 16.6Depth (feet): 7.8Masts: 2Figurehead: FemaleStern: Square
The Wilson was a schooner built at Annan in 1866. She was owned in Whitehaven seven years later when she was lost off the Irish coast. On the 31st January 1873 the Wilson was caught in an easterly gale and was driven onto the North Bull at Drogheda. The Drogheda No.1 lifeboat was sent out under the command of Captain D. Robertson, assistant inspector of lifeboats, who was visiting the area. All five of the schooner's crew were saved, and Capt.Robertson received a commendation from the Lifeboat Institution.
Name: WilsonYear Built: 1866Gross Tons: 117Length (feet): 81.5Breadth (feet): 20.2Depth (feet): 10.5Masts: 2